Join Our Coalition
Our coalition is made up of individuals, families, clubs, organizations, businesses and government entities that want to show their support for this important project.
Click Here to Join Click Here to Download our Brochure
WMRTS contributions are used to publish and distribute promotional materials and create and maintain our website. In addition, WMRTS funds are used for various aspects of the preliminary process of assessing the overall rail trail project.
Your generous gift to the WMRTS will help to:
- Create what is arguably the most exciting 14 miles of rail trails in the eastern United States.
- Provide access to some of the most awe-inspiring views in the Appalachians. Views that will refresh the spirit for generations to come.
- Bring awareness of and protection to: the unique trees, flowers, wildlife and water resources of the upper Potomac River.
- Showcase and preserve the history of the area: pre-history, Indian settlements, French and Indian War, George Washington’s dream of a gateway to the west, early 20th century industry and development.
- Showcase and preserve the evidence of the great push westward by the giants of transportation, and help maintain the integrity and romance of the former Western Maryland Railway.
- Bring increased tourism and needed economic development potential to this part of Western Maryland and the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.
- Promote physical and spiritual fitness.
Other Ways to Support
Friends of Fort Frederick State Park
- Rail Trail Five Dollar Fix it
The very popular bike trail has deteriorated due to encroaching roots under the pavement of the trail. Bikers are experiencing a very bumpy, uncomfortable ride and have asked if the Park can make repairs. Help the Friends of Fort Frederick State Park Complex get to the root of the problem, by repaving the trail.
Repaving the trail will be expensive, and not currently within the Park budget. But, we calculate that if every trail user made a one-time donation of only $5 we could repair the trail. This is our $5 Fix. How to Donate to the $5 FIX:
- Place money in the donation box at the Big Pool Parking Lot located at the Eastern end of the trail.
- Stop by the Visitor Center at Fort Frederick State Park to drop off a donation. Make sure to mention it is for the Western Maryland Rail Trail.
- Send a check to The Friends of Fort Frederick State Park
11105 Fort Frederick Road, Big Pool, MD 21711.
Make sure to note it is for the Western Maryland Rail Trail.
- Donate through the Rail Trail GoFundMe web site.